A Brochure describing the Spiritual Courses conducted through the Internet by Darshana Centre. Here you will get personal attention.
Introducing the inner life
1: Mind Training & Meditation
2: Mantra Yoga
4: Advanced Spiritual Practice
Advantages of learning through Correspondence
About Darshana Centre
Guidelines for Admission
We are born on earth with a mind that directs our attention outward towards things. Hence, we do not see the inner life and we seek our satisfaction from the outside — by having things of the outer world. Thus, we chase comforts, pleasures and possessions in our life.
We pursue these things thinking that by having them we shall get the deeper satisfaction that we really want. However, these things only give us some superficial satisfaction for a short time. Then we again become dissatisfied and start to chase something else. In this way the chase goes on.
However, our mind and body are only the instruments through which we function on earth. They are our possessions, like our house or car. Hence, by satisfying the desires in our mind and body we cannot get the deeper and lasting satisfaction that we really want. To have the deeper and lasting satisfaction, we have to satisfy something that is truly deeper and lasting!
The true satisfaction arises in our life when we develop spiritual qualities in our inner life. These qualities will transform the values and motives with which we live and act; and ultimately they lead us to experience our spiritual being.
The spiritual practice is organised into four courses as follows:
Course-1 is preparatory. It will develop your concentration and overcome the wandering tendency of your mind. Then you become adequate for the spiritual pursuit.
Course-2 is the foundation course. It will set your spiritual practice and get you on the spiritual path. Course-3 teaches you have to develop your direct access to the higher consciousness. Then, instead of being led blindly by your desires and tendencies, you have guidance through intuition.
Course-4 prepares you to clear the faults in your perception that are due to the subjective nature of your mind. It will help you in overcoming the obstacles that arise on the spiritual path.
Course-1: Mind Training & Meditation
You learn to concentrate your mind and gain control over your attention. Then you use it to clear up the negative thoughts and negative emotions that disturb your inner life. This is important since your happiness and well-being depends more on how you handle these thoughts and emotions, and less on your external circumstances.
The practice of concentration will develop an alert, calm, and cooperative mind. It will enable you to think clearly, to understand things better, and to become more capable in whatever you do.
- Basic Meditation
- Concentration in the everyday life
- Developing the Will Power
- Using Thought Power
- Mastering your thoughts
- Overcoming Negative Emotions
Course-2: Mantra Yoga
Here you learn to meditate with a mantra. Then you use the mantra to organise your inner life. The mantra technique is a unique heritage that has been passed down through a line of Masters.
Any mantra can be used as a seed for doing concentration practice, but when you want to use it to get onto the spiritual path you should take the mantra from someone who has awakened it within himself. You can light a fire by rubbing stones, but it is much easier to light a fire with fire.
Mantra Yoga is a complete spiritual practice. Once you are settled with the mantra, a spiritual presence will arise in your mind. It will assist you and guide you at every stage on the spiritual path.
- Reciting a mantra (Jap)
- Meditating with a mantra (Dharna)
- The mantra practice in everyday life
- Opening the spiritual path
Just as behind the superficial existence of a leaf there is a greater existence of the tree, so also behind our individual and personal consciousness there is the ‘greater consciousness’ of the soul and the over-soul.
In this course you learn to install a presence of the greater consciousness in your mind and involve it in your affairs. Then, instead of being guided by your egoistic tendencies or the desires in the mind and body, you will be guided by the prompting of a higher consciousness.
- Steady Gazing (Tratak)
- Installing a personal God
- Tantric Yoga
- Devotional Meditation
- Living for God’s sake
Course-4: Advanced Spiritual Practice
The spiritual pursuit is not about worshipping Gods, performing rituals or following some moral precepts. The main aim is to clear the impurities from your mind so that you can clearly mirror the calm, intelligent and balanced state of the higher consciousness.
In accomplishing this task, the objective techniques like concentration, prayer, meditation and yoga-asana can only help you to an extent. To have a breakthrough you have to overcome the forces within your nature that resist the higher consciousness! This work is more of unlearning your mental tendencies and less of learning new things.
In this course first you understand the psychological processes that are behind spiritual growth. Next, you observe the mental tendencies that obstruct your spiritual awareness. Then, you try to overcome these tendencies and clear the faults in your perceptions. It will enable you to see yourself, others and situations of life not as they show themselves, but as they really are.
- The nature of the inner work
- Deflating the emotions
- The outer mind and its deceptions
- Self-observation and disillusioning
- Overcoming subconscious tendencies
- Awareness beyond the outer mind
Some people wonder how you can learn spiritual practice through a correspondence course. Hence, it calls for some explanation.
You do not grow spiritually by learning some philosophy or by following a belief system. To grow, you have to do spiritual practice under the supervision of a spiritual person. In our courses you learn the necessary philosophy and then you do the practices for implementing it into your life. In this way you build your inner life.
Our basic instruction is given to you through lessons. You study a lesson and do the given practices for a period of time. Then, you answer the questions of the lesson and mail it to us. The issues will become clear to you when you try to make out your answers AFTER doing the practises. On our part, we read your answers and give you appropriate feedback. Then, we give you the next lesson. We maintain your file and monitor your progress.
These courses are practical. Hence, you are only given the concepts and information that you need to do the practices properly. The practices will actually develop the skills and capacities that are necessary to build your inner life. On our part we ensure that you do not skip the necessary steps; for the spiritual practice is a sure process only when it is taken as a whole and not in parts.
We administer information to you in a stepwise manner so that you can accomplish the difficult things by taking small and convenient steps. You can also have your personal difficulties resolved as you go along. Further, you learn all this at your pace and have the convenience of doing it at your home. Further, you do the practice in your environment, where you will be really tested. In addition, we have a provision for a meeting with you in person or through the internet.
Darshana Centre has been conducting these spiritual courses through correspondence since 1988. The courses are practical, practise based, and without pursuing any religious agenda. You are given personal attention and the help that you need to implement the spiritual message.
The courses have been devised and conducted by PRASHANT SHAH. He was educated in Chemistry at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (BS), and University of California, (MS & PhC), and initiated into Mantra Yoga by Shri Nyaya Sharma — a Master of Shiva-Tantra-Yoga.
About Prashant Shah: He is an author, counsellor and a spiritual guide. He also conducts ‘Spiritual Awareness WORKSHOPS’ in India, USA and UK. He writes and speaks clearly, in simple language, and from personal experience. He is the AUTHOR of the books: The Crisis of Modern Humanity (1976); The Essence of Hindu Astrology (1987); The Art of awakening the Soul (2011); Healing without Drugs (2014) Solving the Problems of Life (2015). The books are available from the Amazon bookstore.
After carefully reading this BROCHURE, think it over. Do you feel there is some deep mystery underlying your existence and that unless you uncover this mystery you cannot feel satisfied? Are you willing to give up some superficial things in the outer life so that some deeper satisfaction can arise from within you? Will you be able to invest a half-hour every morning and evening for doing your spiritual practice?
Please don’t entertain unnecessary doubt, suspicion or fear regarding the spiritual life. In this pursuit you do not lose anything; you only get rid of what is unwanted. Your object in taking these Courses should not be to ‘have more’ externally, but to ‘be more’ internally.
In these Courses you will learn to control your attention; to stabilise your emotions; to develop your insight; and to clear your perceptions. Further, you do the practices in your existing situation and not in some artificial set-up. And during this time we shall provide you with the instruction and guidance that you need to accomplish these things.
If you have been doing some kind of spiritual practice for some time, but you still feel the need for personal attention, then these Courses are for you.
- Some REQUIREMENTS that make you eligible to take these courses:
- You should believe in the existence of an intelligence and power that is higher and greater than the human mind.
- You should not be deeply committed to any particular religious group or institution.
- You should have sufficient comprehension of English language to be able to comprehend our lessons and correspond with us.
- You should be able to provide sufficient free time and energy for doing your daily spiritual practice. The main aim of these courses is to help you in implementing the spiritual message.
- You should make your application in the APPLICATION FORM that is given on our site. Fill in all the details and email it to us. We shall read it and inform you if we think the Course will be suitable for you. Then you can pay the fees and take the admission.
- Upon admission you will receive our instructions through LESSONS. Our next lesson will be sent to you only after you have completed the answers of the previous lesson. You can also send your personal query along with your answers. We shall help you in sorting out your personal difficulties.
- Each course entitles you to one PERSONAL CONFERENCE. You can ask for the personal conference anytime upon completing the third lesson. There are two options. You can arrange to visit us at Baroda with prior appointment or we can discuss on the Internet through Skype. You aim should be to seek clarifications or sort out your personal difficulties.
- Each Course is to be completed within 12 months. If you are unable to complete the set of Lessons of the Course within that time, you have to make an application to continue and send a CONTINUATION FEE of Rs. 600 or US $ 10.
- In these Courses the instruction you receive will be one on one. You will get individual attention. We shall keep your correspondence confidential and on your part you must also not to disclose, publish or distribute our lessons, instructions or replies. In addition, we require you, our student, not to become a personal guide (guru) in spiritual matters. The purpose is not commercial, but to avoid spoiling it for others. This factor is incorporated as a “SECRECY CLAUSE” in our Application Form. It requires you to keep your spiritual practice private and to treat our correspondence as confidential.
The application form is given on our site http://www.spiritual-living.in under the tab of ‘Correspondence Courses’